Thursday, June 6, 2013

Reflecting, learning, and creating; all aspects of the GTA Action Plan

In December, 2012, I had the opportunity to participate in some of the best professional training of my career.  Having both of my feet firmly planted in the third quarter of my career, I can say that without a doubt that the Google Teacher Academy impacted my life in many wonderful and positive ways.

The official training was two days long; but the unofficial training has been much longer.  One of these days, I know that I am going to see an Oompa Loompa walk in front of me.  I say this because the training and the experience seemed to be to good to be true.  It seemed like Willy Wonka himself conjured everything up and guided the placement of keys issues with his own hands.

What are the best things about Google Teacher Academy:

  • Positive atmosphere
  • Can-do attitude
  • Nuts and Bolts Training
  • Collegial Networking
  • Interaction to Google Officiondos
  • Action Plan


My action plan included creating a site called EdTechSlam with Lori, Ashley, Danielle, and Jenny Magiera.  The purpose of EdTechSlam is have a site where people can watch quick--less than 120 seconds--videos regarding technical topics.  These topics can be pedagogical in nature; "How you can use VideoNot.es in Class" to instructional; "Uploading a video to YouTube."

In my opinion, the Action Plan is key for the Google Teacher Academy.  It keeps you involved with something larger than yourself and because of the collegial component, it requires that you keep your GTA network alive.  

While EdTechSlam is "still under construction," we use Google Hangout to keep things going and discuss topics of concern.  Our goal is to create more video content and tag wisely so the site is friendly to search and use.

I have really enjoyed this aspect of our work and I have learned so much from the ladies that I am working with.  Once again, another great impact of the action plan component.  We are hoping to have the site public by sometime this Fall.  Until then, we will continue to work on creating video content, tagging wisely, learning from each other, and hanging out together when we have questions/issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.